Employment & Homelessness
Training and resources for providers on supporting homeless jobseekers.
- Workforce and Homeless Systems FAQs
This FAQs doc provide information on the basics of the workforce and homeless systems and how clients can access resources.
- Employment for People Experiencing Homelessness: What Providers Can Do Now
This training by Heartland Alliance focused on actionable steps homeless services and workforce providers can take to support homeless jobseekers in obtaining employment.
- Cross-System Learning: Homelessness and Workforce Systems 101
This training by CAM Detroit and Detroit at Work provided an overview of each system, services available and how clients access those services. The goal of this training was to foster cross-system learning and build capacity so that we all can better serve homeless jobseekers.
- Using Clinical Methods to Support Employment Outcomes
This training by Heartland Alliance details clinical method techniques providers can use with homeless jobseekers including Trauma Informed Care, Motivational Interviewing, Cognitive Behavioral interventions, and Harm Reduction.
- Special Convening: Elevating the Voices of People with Lived Expertise
This convening featured a panel of people with lived expertise of homelessness who work for local nonprofit homeless services organizations. Based on their own experiences as working professionals, these experts will offered valuable insight into how the homeless services system and the public workforce system can better support people with lived expertise of homelessness as they seek to enter the workforce and advance their careers.
- Systems Work Better Together: Enhancing Coordination Among Public Systems to Support Homeless Jobseekers
This training by Heartland Alliance focused on how our public systems can work better together to serve homeless job seekers with a particular emphasis on the homeless services and public workforce systems.
- Integrating Rapid Re-Housing and Employment
For many families and individuals in rapid re-housing programs, employment and earned income are critical for long-term housing stability and success. This training highlighted employment-related strategies that rapid re-housing providers can implement immediately.
- Benefits Counseling for Jobseekers Experiencing Homelessness
This training with a panel of local experts discussed best practices and local resources around benefits counseling for people experiencing homelessness who are considering employment.
Training and resources on ensuring equal access to services for people of diverse sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Detroit CoC Non-Discrimination Policy – Adopted 8.17.18
- HUD Webinar on Equal Access
- Glossary of Gender Identifying Terms and Definitions
- Supporting Equal Access Across the Full Spectrum of Services
- HUD Equal Access for Transgender People – Supporting Inclusive Housing and Shelters
- HUD Definition of Family under the Equal Access Rule
- HUD Equal Access Expectations – Training Scenarios
- HUD Equal Access Final Rule 2016 – Federal Register
- Message from Harriet Tregoning on Equal Access Rule